Man swallows toothpick, pierces duodenum

Update: 09:54 | 04/01/2023

A man in Vietnam's Central Highlands had a 6.5-cm long toothpick removed from his duodenum after suffering abdominal pain for two months.

Hoang Van Quang, 59, of Dak Lak Province, said he began to feel pain of different levels in his right abdomen last November.

Man swallows toothpick, pierces duodenum, 6.5-cm long toothpick, abdominal pain, life-threatening

The bamboo toothpick that is picked out of a man's duodenum at Tam Anh General Hospital in HCMC.

However, he assumed that the pain might have been caused by a ureteral stone, for which he was being treated and doctors had already set a date to perform surgery to remove the stone. As a result, Quang did not see a doctor to see what was causing the pain.

But after the pain grew to the point that he could not endure it any longer, he visited Tam Anh General Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City last week.

A tomography scan showed that a bamboo toothpick 6.5cm long with two pointed ends had pierced his duodenum, causing an infection.

Doctors used an endoscope to remove the toothpick.

Pham Huu Tung, deputy head of the Center for Endoscopy and Gastrointestinal Surgery, said Quang was "lucky" that the accident was not life-threatening yet.

After five days of antibiotic treatment, the patient was free of abdominal pain and was discharged from the hospital.

Vietnam’s Level-2 Field Hospital No. 4 presents gifts to South Sudanese students
Vietnam’s Level-2 Field Hospital No. 4 (Field Hospital 2.4) in South Sudan announced that the hospital held many Civil-Military Co-operation (CIMIC) activities from November 22-24 to encourage local students to go to school.
14 hospitalized after funeral drinking session, 3 in critical condition
Three people are in critical condition after 14 people were hospitalized in the Mekong Delta’s Kien Giang Province with convulsions after drinking alcohol at a funeral.
HCMC hospital meets int'l standard in treating heart failure
Gia Dinh People's Hospital has become the first in Ho Chi Minh City to be recognized by the American Heart Association (AHA).
Hanoi hospitals cope with multiple disease outbreaks among children
Doctors in Hanoi hospitals are overwhelmed by the number of child patients coming with respiratory diseases as the season changes.
Suspected methanol poisoning sees 2 students die, six hospitalized
Two college students in Ho Chi Minh City died while six others remain in critical condition after drinking alcohol of unknown origin at a street stall, with methanol poisoning the main suspect.

Source: VnExpress

Bình luận mới vừa được thêm vào. Click để xem
Mới nhấtHay nhấtXếp theo: