Mass food poisoning at Nha Trang school caused by Salmonella bacteria

Update: 13:47 | 22/11/2022

Health officials confirmed over 600 students of Ischool in Nha Trang in the central province of Khanh Hoa were poisoned with the Salmonella bacteria that is sensitive to most antibiotics.

Khanh Hoa Health Department announced the cause four days after the mass food poisoning case on November 17. Among the victims, a 6-year-old boy died on Sunday en route to a HCMC hospital.

Mass food poisoning, Nha Trang school, Salmonella bacteria, sensitive to most antibioticc, stable health, multi-organ failure

Students from Ischool Nha Trang suffering food poisoning are treated at Khanh Hoa General Hospital, November 18, 2022.

Doctor Doan Uyen Vy, an anti-poison expert of Cho Ray Hospital in HCMC, told that Salmonella is a common culprit in many food poisoning cases from mild to severe.

It can cause sepsis, multi-organ failure and death with symptoms including fever, headache, vomiting and diarrhea. This bacterium is always found in many foods such as eggs and raw vegetables.

From the school’s lunch menu, Vy said the students had been poisoned after eating the sauce made from eggs or raw vegetables.

The Khanh Hoa Department of Health 648 of the school's more than 900 students were admitted to different medical facilities after suffering food poisoning from the school lunch last Friday. 261 children were later sent home for further monitoring while 176 others were discharged in stable health.

As of Monday afternoon 211 were still under treatment.

Pham Huu Binh, principal of Ischool in Nha Trang, met the children's parents on Sunday and admitted responsibility.

The meals at the school are provided by a business household in Xuong Huan Ward, Nha Trang.

14 hospitalized after funeral drinking session, 3 in critical condition
Three people are in critical condition after 14 people were hospitalized in the Mekong Delta’s Kien Giang Province with convulsions after drinking alcohol at a funeral.
 
HCMC hospital meets int'l standard in treating heart failure
Gia Dinh People's Hospital has become the first in Ho Chi Minh City to be recognized by the American Heart Association (AHA).
 
Hanoi hospitals cope with multiple disease outbreaks among children
Doctors in Hanoi hospitals are overwhelmed by the number of child patients coming with respiratory diseases as the season changes.
 
Suspected methanol poisoning sees 2 students die, six hospitalized
Two college students in Ho Chi Minh City died while six others remain in critical condition after drinking alcohol of unknown origin at a street stall, with methanol poisoning the main suspect.
 
108 Military Central Hospital receives Asia Pacific Hand Hygiene Excellence Award and Innovation Award
108 Military Central Hospital is among the five hospitals to receive the Asia Pacific Hand Hygiene Excellence Award and Innovation Award 2022.
 

Source: VnExpress

 
Bình luận mới vừa được thêm vào. Click để xem
Mới nhấtHay nhấtXếp theo: