Update: 15:45 | 16/06/2022
(BGO) – The Ministry of Information and Communications in collaboration with relevant units organized a forum themed "Vietnamese lychees go global" in Hanoi on June 16. The forum aims to seek solutions to bring Vietnamese lychees closer to consumers around the world and create conditions for international friends to understand and have more convenient access to Vietnamese lychees.
In 2022, Vietnam's lychees enjoy a bumper harvest with an output of about 320,000 tonnes. This year, Bac Giang - the largest lychee production area in the country with an area of more than 28,300 ha, posts an estimated lychee output of about 180,000 tonnes.
Participants at the forum.
Speaking at the event, Phan The Tuan, Vice Chairman of the provincial People’s Committee, said that the forum is of great significance to Bac Giang province as well as Hai Duong province. This is a very practical activity to connect localities, contributing to widely promoting Vietnamese lychees to international organizations, thus helping them go global.
Bac Giang is known as the "lychee capital" of Vietnam and has the largest lychee cultivation area in the country, with an area of about 28,000 hectares. The brand of Bac Giang lychee is protected in eight countries namely China, the US, Japan, Australia, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, Laos and Cambodia. Lychee is the first agricultural product of Vietnam to be officially protected as a GI in Japan.
Vice Chairman of the provincial People's Committee Phan The Tuan speaks at the forum.
This year, the weather is favorable, with prolonged cold and regular rain, so lychees grow and develop well. With strict control of planting area codes along with improved farming techniques of Bac Giang people, the quality of Bac Giang lychees in 2022 is the highest ever.
These days, in localities across Bac Giang province, lychee purchasing activities have started to be bustling. Some businesses inside and outside the province have conducted surveys and set up links in selling lychees in the domestic and foreign markets.
Delegates join a discussion on lychee production and market development.
To date, about 25,000 tonnes of Bac Giang lychees have been harvested and sold, with 60 percent for domestic consumption and the remaining 40 percent for exports to Japan, the US, the EU, the RoK, China and Cambodia.
At the forum, Bac Giang province wishes to continue to receive the attention and help of agencies, organizations and individuals to boost lychee consumption, market expansion, and exports.
Vice Chairman of the provincial People's Committee Phan The Tuan introduces delegates to Bac Giang lychee.
Tuan suggested that media agencies continue to support and accompany Bac Giang province in promoting and introducing the quality and brand of Vietnamese lychee in general and Bac Giang lychee in particular to domestic and foreign consumers, helping "Bac Giang lychees conquer foreign markets" and "reach the world". They were asked to connect and invite units to buy Bac Giang lychees.