Update: 09:32 | 08/11/2019
Foreign Ministry’s deputy spokesperson Ngo Toan Thang said on November 7 that Vietnam and the UK have been working actively together to accelerate the identification of 39 victims found dead in a container truck in Essex, the southeast of the UK.
During a regular press conference in Hanoi on November 7, Thang told reporters that following the Prime Minister’s directions, Deputy Foreign Minister To Anh Dung led an inter-sectoral delegation to the UK to work with local authorities on the case from November 3.
Deputy Foreign Minister To Anh Dung lays flower in tribute to 39 victims.
While in the UK, Dung held a series of working sessions with UK government officials from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, the Home Office, judges and Essex police representatives.
Thang said concrete information on the case will be announced early.
According to him, police in Vietnam’s central province of Nghe An launched criminal proceedings against the illegal organization of migration. So far nine persons have been arrested in connection with the case.